Your NAT type, also known as Network Address Translation, is defined as the opening of your Internet connection. Changing your NAT type in your PlayStation 5 can help improve your internet connection, which is essential for healthy, stable, and fast online gaming performance.
By default, your PS5 will select one of the three types of NAT available: NAT Type 1, NAT Type 2 or NAT Type 3. However, it is possible to change it manually in the PS5 settings. Here’s how to change it.
- Launch your PlayStation 5 and load up the PS5 dashboard.
- Go to the Settings icon, located at the top right of the screen
- Choose Network> Connection Status> View Connection Status
- In this menu screen you will see the type of NAT, located at the bottom
- Change to the type of NAT you want.
As a general rule, you will generally want to stick with NAT Type 2. If you are still having trouble connecting, change it to NAT Type 1. NAT Type 1 is the least restrictive setting, allowing traffic to flow freely. This results in the best connection experience. The tradeoff, however, is that your connection is the most vulnerable when it comes to internet security.
Type 2 NAT acts as a happy medium between type 1 and type 3, as type 3 is the most limiting of the three. With Type 3, your PS5 limits traffic, which can hamper your online connection and slow download speeds. On the other hand, type 3 is the most secure connection.